Wednesday 25 July 2012

Often heard phrases

I’m nothing if not consistent. This means there are various phrases from Bob that form a large part of my flight training. Below is a list of the ones that spring to mind, along with a little description for context.

INSIDE, OUTSIDE, INSIDE, OUTSIDE! – usually as we are hurtling down the runway on a takeoff run. The idea is that I should check my instruments, then check where I’m going. Repeatedly. I.E. every second or so. At the start of my training doing this meant I would forget where my speed indicator was.  So I could either takeoff at the correct speed or go in a straight line but not both.

It’ll Be Fun – usually used in conjunction with the next insane maneuver I’m going to have to learn (Spins, Spirals etc.) It rarely is!

Trim off the pressure - there is a trim wheel that you can use so that you don’t have to constantly maintain pressure on the control column. I forget to use it (or refuse to take both hands of the control column). I end up with a “death grip” on the yoke. My knuckles turn white.

Watch the taxi line - I am watching it. I’m watching as I manage to steer my plane in completely the opposite direction from it!

You know what to do – usually following my scream of “Bob, its doing <insert random movement here>”. Bob’s stopped correcting all my mistakes now. If I complain that the plane is doing something, he expects me to fix it. God, how unreasonable can you get!

Aviate, navigate, communicate – The holy trinity of flying. It’s all about priorities. Fly the plane, then figure out where you are then worry about your radio calls. I’m finding the middle one the trickiest.

No comments:

Post a Comment